- Risotto and Pasta three ways
- Mexican tacos / fajitas with vegetables / fish / meat alternatives
- Omelette with fridge ‘leftovers’
- Different ways with mince – Chilli con carne, nachos and spaghetti
- Indian / Thai curry bases – an essential staple
- How to batch cook for the freezer
- How to alter ingredients according to the season and what’s in your fridge
- Adapting meals to be vegetarian / meat based / fish based
- Basic hygiene and food safety in the kitchen
- Savvy shopping: how, what and when to buy
- How to store different types of food, including freezing, thawing and reheating
Throughout the day we will cook the above dishes and you’ll take home some food, e.g. some of the dishes you have batched cooked, so that you can share with friends and family straight away and begin your culinary journey.
About your day
Our cookery courses take place on the Catton Estate, next to the River Trent, on the picturesque Derbyshire border. Our spacious kitchens are perfectly equipped. We are only minutes from the A38 and have plenty of free parking.
You’ll have the support of our “kitchen fairies” throughout the day who also take care of all the washing up. We’ll provide an apron for the day, all the equipment and ingredients you’ll need, and refreshments throughout the day. You’ll also receive recipe packs to take home.
Our day courses run from 10.15am to 4 pm. Join the team for early morning refreshments from 10 am.
Book your place
This class is perfect for 16-21year olds, wanting to learn how to cook staple dishes that will see you through your student days and beyond. We’ll take into consideration limited space and equipment in student residents and give you clever ideas how to adapt the different recipes throughout the day.