Techniques learnt on our sourdough making course
- Understand how to make a pre-ferments
- How to make a starter, then make your own starter to take home
- The essential bread making techniques including enriching, kneading, proving and shaping
- Learning about different flours
- The ‘no-knead’ method
- How to fold dough
- Shaping & folding dough
- Shaping baguettes
- Baking in a dutch oven and how to make this work at home
This day-long sourdough making course is designed to give you total confidence in using all of these techniques back in your own kitchen.
Recipes learnt (Classic course)
- A traditional sourdough loaf
- Sourdough baguette
- Rye bread
- Sourdough flatbreads to be enjoyed for lunch with roast chicken and roasted vegetables
- Crackers made using leftover ferment
(Please note, we reserve the right to alter the recipes to meet the dietary requirements of our guests).
Your chef tutor
Andy Tyrrell is the perfect chef to teach this course, with his love of traditional bread making techniques. He has a particular love of sourdough, from starter to finished loaf. His creativity, technical expertise and knowledge make him the ideal person to lead this bread making course
About your day on our sourdough baking course
Our cookery courses take place on the Catton Hall Estate. On the picturesque Derbyshire and Staffordshire border, we are only minutes from the A38. We also have plenty of free parking.
You’ll have the support of our “kitchen fairies” who’ll ensure you have everything you need. We’ll provide an apron for the day, and all the equipment and ingredients.
You’ll be sitting down together during the day to eat the dishes you’ve created. We’ll also provide wine and soft drinks.
Our day courses run from 10.15am to 4 pm. Join the team for early morning refreshments from 10 am.
Book your place
No prior experience is necessary for this sourdough making course, just enthusiasm. This course is a wonderful experience, as you will be able to learn from a master, meet new people, and enjoy some delicious bread, food and wine along the way. If you can’t get enough of baking, why not check out the rest of our bread making courses?