The day will feature an array of different game dishes, all to be incorporated into day to day family life.
Suggested recipes include:
- Wild duck slow roasted in soy and ginger and served with a duck sauce & home made tortilla wraps
- Pigeon & bacon burgers with chips and a peppercorn sauce
- Game curry with flatbreads – ideal for batch cooking & freezing
- Sausage rolls with partridge, pheasant and home reared pork – great for shoot ‘elevenses’
- Game broth & ‘Old Grouse’ noodle soup
- Green sauce & ‘cover crop crumble’ both delicious accompaniments to game
During the day you will be able to enjoy eating the fruits of your kitchen labours. Served in our private dining room, it’s a chance to share your experiences outside of the shooting season.
- Slow cooking
- Pan frying
- How to incorporating game dishes into quick and easy family cooking
- How to batch cook dishes, making game easy & accessible throughout the year
- How to use game shot at different times of the season for different dishes
This day long course is designed to give you confidence in using all of these techniques. The aim is that you can go home and repeat the recipes for family and friends time and again, and adapt them to different types of game.
Tim Maddams is a writer, presenter, private chef, cookery teacher and an expert in game cookery. He frequently teaches at Seasoned Cookery School and has done so for 5 years. Tim is perhaps most famous for leading Hugh Fearnley’s River Cottage team at Axminster, and has also appeared on BBC Food and Drink and Channel 4’s Sunday Brunch. Tim has written the ‘River Cottage Game Handbook’ and you couldn’t wish for a more enthusiastic and knowledgeable chef to lead your day.
About your day
Our cookery courses take place on the Catton Hall Estate. On the picturesque Derbyshire and Staffordshire border, we are only minutes from the A38. We also have plenty of free parking.
You’ll have the support of our “kitchen fairies” who’ll ensure you have everything you need. We’ll provide an apron for the day, and all the equipment and ingredients.
You’ll be sitting down together during the day to eat the dishes you’ve created. We’ll also provide wine and soft drinks.
Our day courses run from 10.15am to 4pm. Join the team for early morning refreshments from 10am.
Book your place
There are only 12 spaces available on this bespoke day, so please book online now or give us a call on 01283 711 681.