- Learn how to confit meat to achieve delicious succulent meat
- Cooking duck breast to perfection.
- How to create flavoursome purées for your dinner party dishes.
- Making mashed potato the Michelin star way
- Mis en place & working cleanly so you can achieve beautifully presented plates of food
- Creating a jus full of flavour and depth.
- How to create candied elements to add texture to your desserts.
- Accurate chopping, creating beautiful & delicate garnishes for your food
This day long course is designed to show you the intricate techniques that chefs use to plate and present fine dining dishes. We hope that you will use some of the skills again at home.
Recipes learnt – Festive Menu – December 2019
The recipes taught on the day will be dishes from Claire’s repertoire including a dish she presented on Masterchef back in 2011.
- Crispy Chicken Wings served with Creamed Mash, Caramelised Onion purée, Sautéed Mushrooms
- Duck Breast with Pear, Potato Rosti, Kale, Pumpkin Puree a Five Spice Jus
- Chocolate Moelleux served with Berries, Clotted Cream and Candied Orange Peel
During the day you’ll enjoy these dishes in our dining room. A chance to share your experiences in creating the dishes as well as great food and a glass of wine.
(Please note, on this occasion we are unable to alter the dishes for different dietary requirements)
Your chef tutor
Claire Hutchings is a MasterChef Professionals finalist, renowned for her inventive combinations of ingredients. Following that, she went on to win the ‘Johnnie Borra Award’ in 2012 to recognise her efforts as a young chef. Since then, Claire has been working in Mallorca at a Michelin star restaurant.
“She serves unique, inventive, creative food with a style of her own. She is destined for greatness” Gregg Wallace.
We hosted pop up dining events with Claire from 2013-2017. Claire will be flying back from Mallorca for this special event.
About your day
Our cookery courses take place on the Catton Hall Estate. On the picturesque Derbyshire and Staffordshire border, we are only minutes from the A38. We also have plenty of free parking.
You’ll have the support of our “kitchen fairies” who’ll ensure you have everything you need. We’ll provide an apron for the day, and all the equipment and ingredients.
You’ll be sitting down together during the day to eat the dishes you’ve created. We’ll also provide wine and soft drinks.
Our day courses run from 10.15am to 4pm. Join the team for early morning refreshments from 10am.
Book your place
Please note places on this day are limited to 12. Book online or call us on 01283 711681 to secure your place.