- learn how to use a pressure cooker & press braised meat to achieve delicious succulent meat & also achieve neat and consistent portions
- Italian meringue
- Mis en place & working cleanly so you can achieve beautifully presented plates of food
- How to pipe & quenelle
- Making emulsions to the correct consistency to use as a garnish
- How to create paint effects with simple ingredients eg Greek Yoghurt
- Making crystallised nuts / olives to use as a garnish for texture
- Accurate chopping, creating beautiful & delicate garnishes for your food
This day long course is designed to show you the intricate techniques that chefs use to plate and present fine dining dishes. We hope that you will use some of the skills again at home.
The recipes taught on the day will be the two recipes that Claire presented to the Professional MasterChef ‘the rematch’ Judges in December 2018. These dishes won her the MasterChef trophy.
- Canapés & Petite Fours learn some of Claire’s signature canapés & petite fours
- Curried Breast of Lamb with a mango emulsion, yoghurt & mint dressing; garnished with fresh mango, coconut, chilli, shallot rings & coriander
- Sorrel Sorbet with Greek yoghurt, Sweet meringue, Crystallised Black Olives, Nasturtium and Sorrel Cress
During the day you’ll enjoy these dishes in our private dining room. A chance to share your experiences in creating the dishes as well as great food and a glass of wine.
(Please note, on this occasion we are unable to alter the dishes for different dietary requirements)
Your chef tutor
Claire Hutchings is a MasterChef Professionals finalist, renowned for her inventive combinations of ingredients. Following that, she went on to win the ‘Johnnie Borra Award’ in 2012 to recognise her efforts as a young chef. Since then, Claire has been working in Mallorca at a Michelin star restaurant.
“She serves unique, inventive, creative food with a style of her own. She is destined for greatness” Gregg Wallace.
We hosted pop up dining events with Claire from 2013-2017. Claire will be flying back from Mallorca for this special event.
About your day
Our cookery courses take place on the Catton Hall Estate. On the picturesque Derbyshire and Staffordshire border, we are only minutes from the A38. We also have plenty of free parking.
You’ll have the support of our “kitchen fairies” who’ll ensure you have everything you need. We’ll provide an apron for the day, and all the equipment and ingredients.
You’ll be sitting down together during the day to eat the dishes you’ve created. We’ll also provide wine and soft drinks.
Our day courses run from 10.15am to 4pm. Join the team for early morning refreshments from 10am.
Book your place
Please note places on this day are limited to 12. Book online or call us on 01283 711681 to secure your place.