Overview of the course
Our Perfect Pastry course offers you the opportunity to improve your pastry making skills and learn techniques to make the very best bakes. During this course, we show you a number of classic techniques, aimed at adding sophistication to your baking skills, and a selection of recipes with which to impress your friends and family.
Techniques learnt on this course will be:
By the end of the pastry course, you should have mastered the key techniques, namely:
- How to make hot water crust pastry for savoury pastries and pies
- Create light, flaky puff pastry
- Learn to make wonderfully versatile sweet pastry, perfect for sweet pies, tarts and tortes
- Create coveted crème patissiére, a must for any budding pastry chef!
- Add some after-dinner sophistication to your repertoire
- Finally, do your creations justice and really impress your friends and family with perfect presentation skills
This day long course is designed to give you total confidence in applying all of these techniques, so that you will have no trouble repeating the recipes when you get home.
Beca Lyne-Pirkis: the expert chef who will take you through the course
Leading the course with her infectious enthusiasm will be 2013 Great British Bake Off semi finalist, Beca Lyne-Pirkis. Beca grew up in a family that loved to bake and has since become a talented baker in her own right. She perfects traditional techniques as well as explores delicious new flavour combinations. With her warm personality, Beca makes the course achievable and gives learners the confidence to recreate these bakes at home. This is your opportunity to learn in a fun, relaxed environment from a chef who has a passion for baking. Let Beca guide you through the skills and techniques you’ll need to fulfill all your pastry making aspirations.
Dishes made on the day:
Throughout the day, you will learn to cook each of these delicious recipes, and you will be able to enjoy eating your creations:
- Chicken, Smoked Bacon & Apricot Hot Water Crust pies
- Religieuse – Choux Nuns filled with crème patissiére and decorated with chocolate ganache & whipped cream collars
- Seasonal fruit pithivier
*Please note, we reserve the right to alter the dishes covered in the course, if required to meet the dietary requirements or allergy concerns of our guests.
Book your place on the course today
All of our cookery & baking courses are based on the Catton Hall Estate, situated on the Derbyshire & Staffordshire boarder. The estate has plenty of free parking and is well located with good transport links.
We provide a light lunch, aprons and all the equipment you may need. You need only bring a few containers in which to carry home your delicious creations.
Our Perfect Pastry course is ideal for anyone who is passionate about baking and would like to improve their skills and expand their knowledge of pastry.