Recipes learnt at our South Indian cooking classes
Throughout the South Indian cookery course, you will learn to cook all of these delicious recipes:
- South Indian fish curry
- Chicken Chettinad – a south Indian spicy chicken curry cooked in sesame oil
- South Indian lentils with pumpkin and sambhar spices
- Sweet and sour Hyderabadi aubergine
- Beans Poriyal – sautéed green beans with chilli and coconut
- Coconut and coriander ‘chutney’ – a fresh salsa style accompaniment
- Lemon rice
Throughout the day you’ll enjoy the food you’ve cooked in our dining room with everyone else. A chance to share your experiences in creating the dishes as well as great food.
(Please note, we reserve the right to alter the dishes covered in our South Indian cooking classes to meet the dietary requirements of our guests).
- How to prepare lentils and make a classic dhal
- Tempering spices to extract the maximum flavour
- Making an Indian spice blend from scratch
- The basics of an Indian curry sauce
- The elements of a classic south Indian fish curry
- Combining vegetables and spices to create dishes that are rich in colour, texture, and flavour
- How to make side dishes including a deliciously fresh coconut chutney
- How to cook rice perfectly and make a fragrant flavoured rice
Our day long South Indian cooking classes are designed to give you total confidence in using all of these techniques to create fragrant, delicious Indian dishes The aim is that you can go home and repeat the recipes for family and friends time and again.
Your chef tutor
Monisha Bharadwaj was born and brought up in Mumbai, before coming to the UK in 1980 to expand her career. Combining her love of Indian history, journalism and her passion for Indian food, Monisha has devoted her professional career to Indian cookery.
Monisha is a best-selling author, having written 15 top selling cookery books which have sold millions of copies in 8 different languages. Based in London, Monisha now teaches all over the country, inspiring people with her love of Indian food. Her aim is to make it simple and straightforward so that people can recreate it in their home kitchens.
About your day
Our cookery courses take place on the Catton Hall Estate. On the picturesque Derbyshire and Staffordshire border, we are only minutes from the A38. We also have plenty of free parking.
You’ll have the support of our “kitchen fairies” who’ll ensure you have everything you need. We’ll provide an apron for the day, and all the equipment and ingredients.
You’ll be sitting down together during the day to eat the dishes you’ve created. We’ll also provide wine and soft drinks.
Our day courses run from 10.15am to 4pm. Join the team for early morning refreshments from 10am.
Book your place
This one-day South Indian cookery course will build your confidence and teach you about traditional South Indian dishes. Monisha, your expert chef for the day, will be on hand to guide you through the recipes and to also answer any questions you may have.
Our Indian cookery courses are very popular, so if you or someone you know would like to attend this course, book your space now.