- Italian Minestrone – served three ways:
- As a hearty soup with pasta or rice
- With seasonal greens, topped pesto and seared chicken / polenta crusted halloumi (v)
- Baked with eggs and chorizo / portabello mushroom (v)
- A versatile curry paste – make ahead and freeze for an instant mid week meal with coconut milk / tomatoes and any combination of meat or vegetables
- Puy Lentils – served three ways:
- Winter salad with celeriac, walnuts, apple and ham / smoked tofu (v)
- Served hot with spinach, spices and smoked haddock
- Added to rice and roast veg to make a Lebanese pilau (v)
- Roast vegetables served with freekah with a smokey garlic yoghurt – a great dish as a meal in itself, served as leftovers for lunch, or as a side with steak
- Hummus, different varieties made from store cupboard essentials
- Top 5 pasta sauces
- Top ‘toast toppers’ make a wholesome meal using great bread and simple ingredients that you already have in your cupboards
We will break for a staggered lunch throughout the day in our private dining room, allowing time to relax, a cold drink and time to chat with fellow course participants about your favourite dishes, cookbooks and more.
(Please note, we reserve the right to alter the dishes covered in the course, to meet the dietary requirements of our guests).
- How to batch cook for the freezer
- How to alter ingredients according to the season and what’s in your fridge
- How to stock your larder so you can make a meal from scratch with ease
- Adapting meals to be vegetarian / meat based / fish based
Throughout the day we will cook the above dishes and you’ll take home some food, eg some of the recipes you have batched cooked, so you can start stocking your freezer straight away. Our chef tutor will demonstrate each dish before you get started so that you’ll leave feeling confident recreating all of the dishes at home again.
Your chef tutor
Your chef tutor is Jenny Chandler, food writer and cookery teacher. Jenny has travelled the world and worked for many years in the Mediterranean as a chef on private yachts. Now based in Bristol, Jenny is the author of ‘Pulse’ which has recently been republished, reflecting the growing interest in alternative protein sources.
Jenny’s food is often be described as ‘accidentally vegetarian’, as she makes delicious sharing platters of delicious crowd-pleasing food. Sometimes meat is a part of this or the focus is on fabulous seasonal vegetables, pulses and herbs to impress any guests, friends and family.
About your day
Our cookery courses take place on the Catton Estate. On the picturesque Derbyshire border next to the River Trent, our spacious kitchens are perfectly equipped. We are only minutes from the A38 and have plenty of free parking.
You’ll have the support of our “kitchen fairies” throughout the day who also take care of all the washing up. We’ll provide an apron for the day, and all the equipment and ingredients you’ll need. With refreshments throughout the day, you’ll also receive recipe packs to take home.
Our day courses run from 10.15am to 4 pm. Join the team for early morning refreshments from 10 am.
Book your Place
This class is perfect for those looking how to cook delicious nourishing food for your family in an efficient way. Whether you are buying for yourself or a friend or family member we aim to give you a range of new ideas and serving styles for you to recreate again at home.
Photo’s courtesy of Jenny Chandler