- Chapli beef kebabs
- Naan breads
At the end of the day
- Tandoori chicken using a yoghurt based spice blend that can also be used with fish or meat
- Masala Sabzi vegetable / chickpea curry with masala paste – a versatile curry paste which can be used with a variety of dishes
- Himalayan spicy scrambled eggs or spicy crushed potatoes with cumin, coriander and chilli (Aloo bharta) – using spice in day to day dishes
- Green coriander chutney
To Take home
- Garam / Chaat masala
- Masala paste to be used with red meat (Lamb)
Throughout the day, you will get to enjoy the food you cook in our private dining room with the rest of the group. It will be a great opportunity to share your experiences in creating the dishes.
(Please note, we reserve the right to alter the dishes covered in the course, to meet the dietary requirements of our guests.)
- How to make your own spice blends, e.g garam masala
- Understanding what each spice brings to a dish
- Learn how to toast and grind spices
- How to make a curry base & use this with different meat / fish / vegetables
- How to make naan breads
- How to marinade meat in yoghurt and make a tandoori style dish
- How to make an accompanying sauce for kebabs and other Indian food
This one day course is designed to give you the confidence to repeat a range of curries time and again at home for your family and friends.
Your chef tutor
Sumayya Uslani is a cookery teacher and food writer. After a change in career, Sumayya decided that food was her passion, and she wanted to turn her passion into her day job. Sumayya has since written two fabulous cook-books worthy of two awards. Being born and raised in Pakistan, lots of what Sumayya knows about food has been passed down from one generation to the next.
Sumayya has worked with some infamous names in the industry, namely; Madhur Jaffrey and Rachel Allen, alongside appearing on radio shows like BBC Radio 1 & 4, and the good food channel.
Her experience, combined with compassion gives her a wealth of knowledge to be passed down to keen curry lovers.
About your day
Our cookery courses take place on the Catton Hall Estate. On the picturesque Derbyshire and Staffordshire border, we are only minutes from the A38. We also have plenty of free parking.
You’ll have the support of our “kitchen fairies” who’ll ensure you have everything you need. We’ll provide an apron for the day, and all the equipment and ingredients.
You’ll be sitting down together during the day to eat the dishes you’ve created. We’ll also provide wine and soft drinks.
Our day courses run from 10.15am to 4 pm. Join the team for early morning refreshments from 10 am.
Book your place
If you’re struggling with blending your spices correctly, join Sumayya as she teaches some staple curry dishes, and teaches the tips and tricks and blending spices. The day is hands on, and you’ll go away with some masala paste too to use again! If you’d like to book, be sure to call 01283 711 681 so you don’t miss out.
(Photo’s courtesy of Joanna Yee & Joe Woodhouse)