- The basic principles of cold smoking
- Brine and salting salmon to produce beautiful smoked salmon
- Food hygiene with smoking and curing meats – an important topic to make sure you get the results you want
- Producing smoke, the principles of combustion and the flavours of different types of wood
- How to hot smoke trout and other items
- How to cure and brine small cuts of meats, to make easy and simple air dried products, for example, bacon and pancetta
- Learn how to construct a basic cold smoker from a cardboard box
Turan will also provide you with charts to guide you on how to cold smoke different food groups. This day long course is designed to give you total confidence in using all of these techniques. The aim is that you can go home and repeat the recipes for family and friends time and again.
- Smoked salmon
- Smoked olives, sundried tomatoes & smoked garlic
- A variety of smoked cheeses
- Hot-smoked trout
- Bacon / pancetta
- Air-dried duck / game from the Catton Estate to take home with you
You will be able to enjoy some of the food on the day and take a goody bag of smoked food home with you. Lunch on the day will be provided.
(Please note, we reserve the right to alter the dishes covered in the course, to meet the dietary requirements of our guests).
Your chef tutor
Turan began home smoking food as a hobby and passion and has made a full-time career from food smoking after retiring as a senior officer in the London Fire Brigade. Somehow ironically both careers involve a love of smoke!
Turan’s ethos is to make food smoking and preserving accessible to everyone. He has written books on the subject and now runs his own very successful food smoking business teaching and inspiring people about the joys of smoked food.
About your day
Our cookery courses take place on the Catton Hall Estate. On the picturesque Derbyshire and Staffordshire border, we are only minutes from the A38. We also have plenty of free parking.
You’ll have the support of our “kitchen fairies” who’ll ensure you have everything you need. We’ll provide an apron for the day, and all the equipment and ingredients.
You’ll be sitting down together during the day to eat the dishes you’ve created. We’ll also provide wine and soft drinks.
Our day courses run from 10.15am to 4pm. Join the team for early morning refreshments from 10am.