Throughout the day, you will cook all of these delicious recipes. You’ll take home the breads you make to enjoy throughout the Christmas season:
- Danish pastries with a mincemeat and frangipane filling (this will be partly demonstration, partly hands-on due to the proving and resting time required)
- Brioche – an orange and cranberry enriched loaf with a rich and tender crumb
- Stollen – a delicious fruit bread made with brandy soaked raisins and homemade marzipan
- Grissini – delicious breadsticks which will be enjoyed for lunch with a festive spread
(Please note, we reserve the right to alter the dishes covered in the course, to meet the dietary requirements of our guests).
- The essential bread making techniques including enriching, kneading, proving and shaping
- How to shape bread into ‘free form’ loaves and shape bread for cooking in tins
- How to laminate an enriched dough and make Danish pastries, croissants and other pastries
- How to make homemade marzipan
This unique day-long course is ideal for those wanting to expand their bread making repertoire under the guidance of an expert baker. You’ll go away with the knowledge to recreate each one of the recipes time and time again, along with ideas from Andy on alternative flavour combinations.
Your chef tutor
Andy Tyrrell is a font of all knowledge when it comes to all things bread. His expansive knowledge of different doughs and techniques means that participants of his courses leave inspired and able to recreate recipes at home. Andy’s great love for the traditional techniques of bread enables him to be creative with flavours but precise with technique. His knowledge and professionalism makes him the perfect person to teach this Christmas Breads and Danish Pastries course.
About your day
This unique festive baking course takes place on the Catton Hall Estate. On the picturesque Derbyshire and Staffordshire border, we are only minutes from the A38. We also have plenty of free parking.
You’ll have the support of our “kitchen fairies” who’ll ensure you have everything you need. We’ll provide an apron for the day, and all the equipment and ingredients.
Your day includes a delicious light lunch served with wine or soft drinks. Please bring three large containers with you so you can take home your delicious creations.
Our day courses run from 10:15 am to 4 pm. Join the team for early morning refreshments from 10 am.
Book your place on the course today
This one-day bread course is perfect for bread enthusiasts wanting to perfect homemade bread making with an array of different breads within your repertoire. Courses with Andy get booked up quickly, so call 01283 711 681 to book now.