Toffee Apple and Cider Cake
With bonfire night only days away, we’ve created this truly scrumptious Toffee Apple and Cider Cake, perfect for sharing with friends and family around the bonfire. We’ve partnered with Aspall Cider to create this delicious Toffee Apple and Cider Cake recipe. So why not swap those toffee apples and try something different this bonfire night.
Toffee Apple & Cider Cake
For the Toffee Apple and Cider Cake
175g unsalted butter, softened
125g soft brown sugar
100g dates, pitted
100ml Aspall Cyderkyn Cider
3 large eggs, beaten with a fork
220g self raising flour
2tsp ground cinnamon
2 bramley cooking apples, grated
50g toffee pieces
For the Toffee Cider sauce
100ml double cream
50ml Aspall Cyderkyn Cider
85g salted butter
100g soft brown sugar
Method for the Toffee Apple and Cider Cake:
- Preheat your oven to 180C/160 fan/ Gas Mark 4.
- Line and grease using non stick silicone paper a 9” cake tin .
- Sift the flour and ground cinnamon together into a bowl and set aside.
- Next place the dates and cider into a small saucepan and allow to a simmer until the dates are soft ( 5-10 minutes ). Leave to cool. Then add the dates to a small food processor, pulse until you are left with small chunks of dates (you don’t want the mix to be completely smooth).
- Meanwhile, using an electric hand whisk, beat together the sugar and butter until pale and fluffy (5 minutes).
- Slowly add the eggs a little at a time and continually mix together. If the mixture begins to curdle, add a spoonful of flour to bring the mixture back to a smooth consistency.
- Once all of the eggs have been added, fold in the cinnamon flour mix until incorporated. Then fold in the toffee pieces, grated apple, and cooled date mixture.
- Next pour the cake mixture into the prepared tin and place in the oven to bake for 50 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the cake.
- Once baked, remove from the oven and set aside, allowing for the tin to cool slightly, before removing the cake from the tin and leaving to cool on a wire rack.
Method for the Toffee Apple Cider sauce
- Prepare your toffee cider sauce.
- Add all of the sauce ingredients to a saucepan and heat until the butter and sugar have melted.
- Stir and Simmer until the sauce has thickened and is the desired colour and consistency.
- Keep warm and poor over a slice of the cooled cake!
Our Toffee Apple and Cider cake can be served warm or cold, depending on your preferences. It’s the ultimate cake to impress your friends with this bonfire night!
For more Seasoned recipes visit our blog.