If you’ve attended one of our baking courses recently you will have noticed we’ve swapped the lunch of cold meats and cheeses to a simple, yet tasty tomato pasta dish with pesto and Parmesan.
Judging by the amount of clean plates we have after lunch thought it was only fair to share the recipe. It’s the perfect recipe to have as it can be whipped up with storecupboard ingredients to give a tasty, quick meal.
Garofalo pasta have kindly provided both the wheat and gluten free pasta on the courses.
Discover all the baking courses we do at Seasoned.
Simple Tomato Pasta with Chilli
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely diced
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1x 400g tin of good quality tinned tomatoes
- 1 tsp dried chilli flakes
- salt & pepper
- 1 tsp sugar (optional)
- 250g pasta
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan and gently sweat the onions for 5 minutes until they begin to soften. Add the garlic and continue to cook for a further 3 minutes.
- Add the tomato puree to the saucepan and cook for a minute before stirring in the tinned tomatoes, chilli flakes, salt and pepper. Simmer gently for 20-25 minutes until sauce begins to thicken. This cooking helps to improve the flavour. If it gets too thick add a splash of water.
- Some brands of chopped tomatoes can be quite tart even after cooking. If this is the case stir in 1 tsp of sugar to the sauce.
- When nearly ready to serve cook the pasta, drain then stir through the sauce. Serve with pesto, rocket, parmesan and a slab of sourdough.