Our Salmon and Hollandaise Puff Pastry Tart makes a quick, delicious lunch or a lovely starter to an Easter roast dinner.
You can cheat with the hollandaise sauce and buy it in ready made, but we do encourage you to try and make your own. It’s easier than you think and tastes so much better. Follow our fail safe recipe below.
Get more confident in making Hollandaise Sauce and more on our Stocks and Sauces course.
Salmon and Hollandaise Tart
For the Hollandaise Sauce:
- 125g butter
- 2 eggs, yolks only
- ½ tsp white wine vinegar
- A pinch of fine salt
- Splash of cold water
- Lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste
For the tart:
- 375g puff pastry sheet
- 250g crème fraiche
- 200g blanched broccoli
- 2 small fillets of oak smoked salmon, flaked
- First make the hollandaise. Place the butter into a small saucepan and melt slowly so that the butter separates, spoon off the solids and discard. You are left with clarified butter. Set aside in a jug until ready to use in step 4.
- Fill a small saucepan 1/3 full with water and put onto the heat to simmer. You want a gentle simmer rather than a boil or the eggs will cook.
- Place the egg yolks, vinegar, salt and a splash of water in a heatproof bowl and whisk for a couple of minutes until the mixture starts to become pale and thick.
- Place the bowl with the eggy mixture over the simmering water and continue whisk. Slowly pour in the clarified butter, whisking all the time, until the sauce begins to thicken. Add a splash of water if the sauce becomes too thick.
- Season the hollandaise sauce to taste and keep warm until ready to drizzle over the tart.
- Now to make the tart. Take your sheet of puff pastry and unroll. Using a sharp knife carefully score a boarder about 2cm thick around the edges of the pastry making sure you don’t cut all the way through. This will act as a frame and help to hold the filling in while baking.
- Using a fork carefully prick the centre part of the pastry to encourage it not to rise too much. Spread the crème fraiche over the centre . Bake at 200°c/fan 180°c for 10 minutes before sprinkling with the broccoli and flaked salmon and baking for a further 5-10 minutes until pastry is risen and golden.
- When ready to serve, sprinkle capers and rocket leaves over the tart then drizzle with the hollandaise sauce. Best served warm.
Add more fish recipes to your repertoire with a day on our Fish & Seafood Cookery Course.