Rhubarb & Ginger Possets
These delicious little pots combine the zing of ginger and the vibrant colour of early season forced rhubarb to create a delicious dinner party dessert. Great to pre make ahead and vary with seasonal fruit throughout the year.
Rhubarb & Ginger Pots
For the rhubarb compote
- 400g trimmed rhubarb, cut into pieces
- 2 bulbs of stem ginger
- 1-2 tablespoons of caster sugar (depending on how sharp you like it)
- 2 gelatine leaves
For the posset
- 400ml double cream
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons of stem ginger syrup
- The juice of 1 lemon
Crystalised ginger to serve
To make the compote
1) Soak the gelatine sheets in a bowl of cold water for 5 minutes until they have ‘blossomed’ – absorbing water and becoming soft.
2) Place the rhubarb, sugar & chopped stem ginger in a heavy bottomed pan. Simmer gently for 5-10 minutes until the juices flow from the fruit and the rhubarb is cooked but still holds its shape.
3) Remove from the heat & strain over a sieve, catching the juice in a bowl underneath.
4) When the gelatine leaves have softened, remove from the water & wring dry with your hands. Add the gelatine leaves to the strained rhubarb juices and stir until dissolved.
5) Place some of the rhubarb pieces & stem ginger in the bottom of 4 glass dishes. Pour the juices, with the gelatine in over and place in the fridge to set for 2-3 hours. (If you wish to create some decorations for the top, reserve a little of the juices, add an additional blossomed gelatine leave and pour into a small container to set)
To make the posset
1) Place the double cream, sugar and ginger syrup into a large saucepan and heat gently. Bring to the boil and boil for 1-2 minutes, then remove from the heat and allow to cool.
2) Add the lemon juice, whisk well and allow to cool.
3) When the compote is set, gently pour over a few tablespoons of the cooled posset and allow to set again in the fridge for 1 hour.
4) When ready to serve remove from the fridge, allow to come to room temperature and decorate with stem ginger and rhubarb jelly if using.