This delicious recipe for parsnip and cauliflower soup is a real Seasoned favourite and perfect for batch cooking and freezing ready for the winter!
The sweet earthiness of the parsnips with the warmth of the spices and zing of lemon makes this a comforting and delicious soup recipe.
Spiced parsnip & cauliflower soup
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1 medium cauliflower
- 3 parsnips
- 2 onions
- 1 tablespoon of coriander seeds
- ½ teaspoon of cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 2 garlic cloves
- Thumb sized piece of ginger
- 2 green chillies, deseeded
- 500ml vegetable/chicken stock
- 500ml milk (adjust to reach your preferred consistency)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt & Pepper
- A small handful of coriander & some additional roasted cauliflower florets to decorate if desired.
1) Begin by chopping your onions, parsnips and cauliflower. This can be roughly chopped as it will be blended later. Finely chop the ginger and slice the garlic and the green chillies.
2) In a small pan dry roast the coriander & cumin seeds until fragrant. Then crush these in a pestle & mortar.
3) In a large casserole dish add the oil, heat until hot and add the chopped onions. Sauté for around 5-10 minutes until softened but not coloured. Add the parsnips and cauliflower, cook for a further 5 minutes before adding the garlic, ginger, chillies, stock and half of the milk. There should be enough liquid to cover the vegetables.
4) Simmer for 20-30minutes until all of the vegetables are soft. Add the spices and blend with a stick blender if you have one. Add the lemon juice and further milk to reached your preferred consistency. Season with salt & pepper and taste, adding further seasoning if required.
This can be enjoyed straight away, chilled & reheated at a later date or frozen, the choice is yours.
We developed & photographed this recipe for Farmers Weekly in February 2017 & hope it becomes a family favourite.