This delicious recipe for parsnip and cauliflower soup is a real Seasoned favourite and perfect for batch cooking and freezing ready for the winter!
The sweet earthiness of the parsnips with the warmth of the spices and zing of lemon makes this a comforting and delicious soup recipe.
Parsnip & cauliflower soup Ingredients
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cauliflower
- 3 parsnips
- 2 large onions
- 1 tablespoon of coriander seed (crushed)
- ½ teaspoon of cumin seed (crushed with coriander)
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 green chilies, deseeded
- 1 lemon and zest
- Small handful of coriander
- 1l vegetable/chicken stock
1) Peel and slice the parsnips and onions evenly so that they cook at the same rate. Cut the cauliflower into florettes. Slice the garlic and set aside.
2) In a small pan dry roast the spices to release their essential oils and aromas
3) In a large stock pot / casserole pan add the oil, heat and add the onions and saute for around 5-10 minutes until softened but not coloured. Add the parsnips and cauliflower and saute for around 5 minutes.
4) Add the garlic and spices to the vegetables and cook for a further couple of minutes. Add the lemon juice, zest and stock – enough to cover the vegetables. Reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until all of the vegetables are soft.
7) Pour the soup into a blender and blitz until the mixture is smooth and to the consistency that you like. If the soup is too thick, you can thin it down using water or for adding indulgence, double cream!
8) This soup recipe is great served piping hot for lunch with bread, or topped with a couple of pieces of watercress and pancetta for a starter at a dinner party.
If you would like to learn more about cooking take a look at our course page, there is something for everyone!