Honey and chocolate is such a delicious combination and these mini chocolate honey tarts are a perfect dinner party dessert as they can be made ahead.
This recipe has quite a few stages but it can be spread out over the day and there is no baking involved.
Learn the art of chocolate making with Will Torrent on our Chocolate Course
Chocolate Honey Tartlets
makes 4 small 10cm tartlets
For the tart base:
• 160g biscuits of your choice
• 100g butter
For the salted butterscotch layer:
• 140g set honey
• 140g butter
• 150ml double cream
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the chocolate ganache:
• 150ml cream
• 200g dark chocolate, broken into pieces
For the chocolate glaze: (optional, but gives a nice finish)
• 85g dark chocolate
• 30g butter
• 1 tbsp honey
• Top with honeycomb (optional)
- Start with the base as you will need to chill each layer for 30 minutes before adding the next layer. Put all the biscuits in a sealed sandwich bag, then roll over with a rolling pin until you have fine crumbs.
- In a small saucepan on a low/medium heat melt the butter then stir in the biscuit crumbs. Divide this mixture between the four tart tins and press down with the back of a spoon. Chill in the fridge for 30 minutes while you make the butterscotch layer.
- For the butterscotch layer add the honey, butter and double cream to a small saucepan. Gradually bring to the boil and simmer for 45 minutes until golden. Stir in the salt then pour the butterscotch over the chilled biscuit layer. Be careful as this mixture is very hot. Return the tarts to the fridge and chill for another 30 minutes.
- Put the dark chocolate pieces into a bowl over a simmering saucepan of water to gently melt the chocolate. Once the chocolate has nearly all melted stir in the cream and continue to stir until you have a smooth, glossy ganache. Pour chocolate ganache this over the butterscotch tarts. Return the tarts to the fridge for a final 30 minutes until the ganache has set. You can eat the tarts like this or add a tempting layer of chocolate glaze.
- To make the chocolate glaze put the dark chocolate in a bowl over a simmering saucepan of water. When the chocolate has melted stir in the butter and honey until you have a smooth glaze. Set aside for 5 minutes before pouring the glaze over the tarts. Top with a shard of honeycomb.