How to make pasta
When people are faced with the prospect of making their own pasta they start to panic. This is why we have complied an easy step-by-step recipe to guide you through the process!
Ingredients for making pasta:
- 200g pasta flour “00 grade”
- 2 eggs
- A pinch of table salt
- A little olive oil
1) Place the flour and salt on a table or in a bowl and create a well in the centre. Place your eggs in it with a touch of olive oil and slowly start to incorporate the eggs into the flour with your fingertips.
2) Knead the pasta for a few minutes making sure it is well worked (can take 15 min) and fold it a few times until it makes small bubbles.
3) Rest the dough for 15 -20 minutes, well wrapped in cling film or covered in a bowl.
4) Meanwhile, put a large saucepan filled with water and 1 tsp salt onto the boil.
5) Once rested, roll the pasta dough using a rolling pin or pasta machine (as per the machine instructions). You want the dough to be thin enough so that you can see your hands through it, but not too thin that it will tear. You can cut and shape the pasta however you like, our favourtes are taglietelle (long thin strips), parpadelle (thick strips) or straccetti (pinched diamonds).
5) Once the water has boiled, place the pasta into the water and cook for 30 seconds to 1 minute depending on the thickness of the pasta. Once it has risen to the surface of the water, you know it is cooked. Be careful not to overcook the pasta, you want it to still have a bite once it is cooked, this is called al dente. Remove with a slotted spoon straight into you sauce of choice.
6) Serve and enjoy!
If you think that one of your friends or family members would like to learn how to make pasta we can also provide gift vouchers!