Honey, Lemon & Ginger Drizzle Cake
This is a delicious twist on the much loved lemon drizzle cake which has been a popular cake on our brilliant baking course. Teaming up with our Leicestershire friends Belvoir Cordials we’ve incorporated their honey, lemon & ginger cordial which is divine.
This cake has been used to welcome guests on many of our baking courses at Catton Hall, taught by our celebrity chef bakers! Try this delicious recipe at home or join us on one of our cookery courses near Leicestershire.
We created two different versions; One by filling the cake with fresh cream and lemon curd, topped with sticky lemon & ginger syrup, and another by using the cordial to make a glaze to trickle over the top of the cake.
250g unsalted butter
350g caster sugar
4 large eggs
zest of 2 lemons
350g self raising flour
2 pinches of salt
12 tablespoons milk
For the syrup (for the top of each layer of the cake)
100ml of Belvoir lemon & ginger cordial
For the cream centre (if using):
100ml Fresh cream
4 tablespoons of good quality lemon curd
For the glaze (for the top of the cake):
50-75ml Belvoir lemon, honey and ginger cordial
150g icing sugar
- Preheat your oven to 180 C/ gas mark 4.
- Butter and line two 9” or 10″ round cake tins.
- Cream together butter and sugar well, until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add in the eggs, one by one, adding a tablespoon of the pre weighed flour in between each egg if you are worried about this curdling.
- Add the lemon zest and then gently fold in the flour and the salt, mixing thoroughly and then add the milk – between 6-12 tablespoons, enough to make it a lovely soft cake dough, but not too wet.
- Spoon the batter into your prepared tin and bake for 45 mins or until cake tester comes out clean.
For the syrup:
- Gently warm the cordial in a small saucepan, then as soon as cake is out of oven, puncture all over with skewer and pour over the syrup.
- Leave cake to cool completely before removing from the tin.
- Sandwich the cakes together with lemon curd and fresh cream
For the glaze:
- Combine lemon, honey and ginger cordial and icing sugar until smooth and white, adding a little more icing sugar if needed.
- Make sure the cake has cooled before drizzling to prevent it from melting.
If you would like to know more about baking, click here to see our amazing selection of baking courses.