Homity Pie recipe
When you’re looking to bake something using just seasonal ingredients in early spring Homity Pie has to be it. You can’t beat beautiful crisp pastry topped with potato, herbs, cheese and onions. A great comfort food eaten hot or cold.
We are big fans of Wright’s flour at Seasoned. They produce a Sungold Pastry Flour that is a mix of wheat and maize flour and gives a beautiful golden, crisp crust.
Learn how to bake the gluten free version of Homity Pie on our Gluten Free Baking course.
Makes 9 inch tart
For the pastry:
- 225g Wrights Sungold Pastry Flour
- 110g butter, chilled and cubed
- 1 beaten egg
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 ½ tbsp chilled water (approx)
For the filling:
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1 medium leek, sliced
- 200g cooked potatoes, cut into small cubed
- 150g mature cheddar cheese, cubed
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 50ml double cream
- Salt and pepper
- Put the flour in the bowl, then rub in the butter until it resembles breadcrumbs. Stir in the beaten egg and salt. Add the water a tsp at a time until you have a nice dough. Flatten the dough into a disk, cover in cling film and chill until ready to use.
- Roll out the pastry to about £1 coin thickness. Place in the tart tin and prick the base lightly with a fork. Chill again for 30 min. When ready to bake, cover the pastry with baking parchment and baking beans, then blind bake for 15 mins at 170°c.
- While the pastry is cooking saute the onion, thyme & garlic in the oil until soft and translucent, add the leeks and saute until soft. Mix in the cooked potatoes.
- Add half the cheese, parsley, cream, salt & pepper to taste, fill the cases, sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake at 180°c again for 20 mins until golden.