This month’s recipe is our deliciously light and fruity gluten free coconut cake. Filled with Innocent smoothie soaked desiccated coconut, this is both dairy and gluten free. The perfect weekend treat to bake this summer!
-250ml Mango and Passion fruit Innocent smoothie
-Zest of 2 oranges
-250g Dessicated Coconut
-300g Golden Caster Sugar
-6 Eggs separated
-4 tablespoons of Sunflower Oil
Method for Gluten Free Cake
1. Mix the desiccated coconut and Innocent smoothie together and leave for 15-30mins until the coconut is soft
2. Meanwhile grease and line a 8” or 10” cake tin and pre-heat the oven to 180 C
When the Coconut has soaked add the egg yolks, the caster sugar and the sunflower oil. Mix thoroughly
3. Beat the egg whites in a clean bowl until you reach really stiff peaks
5. Bake for 45 minutes until a skewer comes out clean. Allow to cool and remove from the tin and serve
A base of creamy egg will have formed on the bottom and the top will be a light, coconut mixture flavored with the smoothie!
We have tried other variations to this gluten free cake and here are our firm favourites from our taste testing!
– Raspberry coconut GF cake – add in 250g mushed raspberries into the mixture instead of smoothie. This will make the cake turn out darker and served with coulis and ice cream this will be show stopping at BBQs
– Orange and coconut cake – Replace the Innocent smoothie with orange juice if you are looking for a cheaper but still as delicious alternative. This make a terrifically moist and moreish cake family and friends cannot resist!