Gingerbread men create a certain childhood nostalgia and are perfect for these rainy summer holidays to entertain the kids and to let loose your creative side! Here is our step by step recipe for delicious gingerbread men. Enjoy!
350g/12ozplain flour, plus extra for rolling out
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
175g/6oz light soft brown sugar
1 free-range egg
4 tbsp golden syrup
1. Sift together the flour, bicarbonate of soda, ginger and cinnamon and pour into the bowl of a food processor.
2. Add the butter and blend until the mix looks like breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar.
3. Lightly beat the egg and golden syrup together.
4. Add to the food processor and pulse until the mixture clumps together.
5. Tip the dough out, knead briefly until smooth, wrap in clingfilm and leave to chill in the fridge for 15 minutes.
6. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4. Line two baking trays with greaseproof paper.
7. Roll the dough out to a 0.5cm/¼in thickness on a lightly floured surface (or a top tip from The Pink Whisk is to roll the dough between two pieces of greaseproof paper work well).
8. Using cutters, cut out the gingerbread men shapes and place on the baking tray, leaving a gap between them.
9. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until lightly golden-brown. Leave on the tray for 10 minutes and then move to a wire rack to finish cooling.
When cool, decorate with the writing icing and cake decorations and serve to family and friends (if you haven’t eaten them all already!)
We would love to see pictures of your gingerbread men on our Facebook page – the more creative the better!