This Mother’s Day we thought you could have a fun day baking this delicious chocolate orange cake with your Mum. If you’ve already got something great planned, why not bake it before and give it to her as a wonderful present!!
We’ve adapted this delicious Chocolate Orange Cake Recipe from our baking chef Ruth Clemens. Ruth’s blog ‘The Pink Whisk’ is full of fabulous recipes, including her foolproof chocolate muffin recipe & chocolate orange cake.
Baking is one of the best things to do on a rainy day and this cake is the perfect way to show your mother your appreciation or entertain family for tea on Mother’s Day. So get your creative & experimental hat on and start baking…from testing the delicious cake mixture to decorating the final masterpiece your bound to have a ball!!
Chocolate Orange Layer Cake
Makes one 3-layers 8 inch cake
Chocolate Orange Cake Ingredients
- 250g butter, softened
- 450g caster sugar
- 5 medium eggs
- 105g self raising flour
- 300g plain flour
- 1.5 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 105g cocoa powder
- 340ml milk
- 35ml malt vinegar
- 2 oranges
Makes 3 x 8″ cakes
Chocolate Orange Cake Method
- Preheat the oven to 160c Fan/180c/Gas Mark 4.
- Line three 8inch cake tins
- Pour the 340ml milk & 35ml of malt vinegar into a jug and leave to one side (this will start to separate which is normal)
- Chop the two oranges into chunks (removing any stalks) & place into the food processor (don’t remove the skin). Blitz in the processor until the orange is fine and leave to one side.
- Add the butter & caster sugar into a mixing bowl and mix until creamed & the mixture is light in colour.
- Next add the eggs, one by one, into the mixing bowl and beat slowly until mixed thoroughly.
- Add the plain flour, bicarbonate of soda, self raising flour, cocoa powder and chopped oranges into the cake mixture. Mix slowly. Then add the pre measured milk and malt vinegar into the bowl & mix well.
- Pour the mix into the 3 prepared cake tins evenly and place into the oven for about 40-45 minutes
- Whilst the cake is cooking prepare your icing.
- To check the cake is cooked insert a skewer into the centre of the cake – if the skewer comes out clean it’s cooked, if there’s mixture on the skewer leave in the oven for another 5 minutes and then check again.
- Once the cake is cooked, take the cakes out of the oven and place onto a cooling rack.
- Let the cakes cool completely before icing.
Chocolate Orange Cake Icing
- 500g icing Sugar
- 250g unsalted butter
- 1tsp of orange food colouring (or more depending on how concentrated your food colouring is)
- 2 oranges – zest and juice
- Soften the butter and then add the icing sugar
- Zest the orange & add the juice from half of the orange into the mixing bowl
- Beat well until creamed
- Remove 1/3 of the buttered icing and place into a piping bag
- Add 1tsp of orange food colouring to the remaining buttered icing and mix until the icing is all one colour – add more colouring to suit your tastes
- Place the orange coloured butter cream into a separate piping bag
- Once the cake has completely cooled, pipe each layer of the cake with a different colour icing to give you a beautiful finish.
- Share your wonderful cake with your family & friends
Join Ruth Clemens on one of our Baking Courses at Seasoned, for more information call 01283 810 275.
Tweet us your picture @cookerycourses