Chocolate cake is a firm favourite in the Seasoned cookery school office. This chocolate cake recipe is extra special – rich and decadent – more of a dinner party dessert than an afternoon tea. It is made with cherries soaked in kirsch and is gluten free – although rich in butter & chocolate!
If you enjoy baking and would like to attend a baking course we offer over 11 different options, many of which are taught by Great British Bake Off finalists. They all take place at our purpose built kitchens, which are located in South Derbyshire just 20 minutes away from Lichfield in the picturesque Derbyshire countryside.
Follow this step-by-step chocolate cake recipe to get amazing results!
- Kerrygold butter – 350g
- Chocolate – 250g
- Eggs – 4
- Caster sugar – 220g
- Ground almonds – 300g
- Opies cherries in kirsch – 200g
- Brandy – 3 tbs
1) Grease a 25cm cake tin with butter and line with grease proof paper.
2) Preheat the oven to 160ºC/Gas 3.
3) Break the chocolate into chunks and melt in a bowl over a pan of simmering water
4) Separate the eggs and then mix the yolks in with the sugar until they are pale.
5) Gradually add the melted chocolate and fold in the ground almonds.
6) Pour half of the mixture into the tin, gradually adding the cherries and mix. Pour in the rest of the mixture.
7) Bake for 10 minutes at 160ºC/Gas 3. Reduce the heat to 150ºC/Gas 2 for 45 minutes. Cool in the tin.
8) When cool, turn out and pour over some of the liqueur from the cherries.
If this recipe has inspired you to learn more about baking, why not check out our baking courses? You can learn new skills and techniques in our beautiful location, Catton Hall which is situated in South Derbyshire.