These soft, gooey, chocolate brownies are a Seasoned favourite. With a crisp topping, a gooey centre and the option of adding cherries, they are a perfect winter treat.
Chocolate brownie ingredients
- 180g/6oz plain flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 240g/8oz plain chocolate (break chocolate into small pieces to prevent it burning when melting)
- 120g/4oz butter
- 4 eggs
- 450g/16oz caster sugar
- 1 tin of pitted dark cherries / Opies cherries in Kirsch – chopped
View this quick time-lapse video to see how easy this recipe is & view the step by step images below.
1. Preheat the oven to 160C/325F/ gas mark 3 and grease & line 8 inch square tin.
2. Sift the flour and the baking powder together in a large bowl and stir together until combined.
3. Melt the chocolate & the butter in glass bowl over simmering water on the hob or microwave on a low power and stir throughout.
Remove the bowl from the pan, or microwave, and then let the chocolate cool slightly.
4. Meanwhile, beat the eggs with the sugar for 2 minutes until light & creamy.
A hand mixer works best, however, if you do not have one then beating by hand works great as well.
5. Once the melted butter and chocolate has cooled slightly beat it into the egg and sugar mix.
6. One this is completed, fold in the flour and baking powder with a metal spoon (and cherries if desired).
7. Pour the combined mixture in your prepared tin and cook on 60C/325F/ gas mark 3 for 35-40 minutes or until when you gently shake the tin, the brownie mixture no longer ‘wobbles’.
8.Slice the brownies into desired squares and leave to cool in the tin for 30 minutes before tucking in.
Inspired by chocolate? Join us on a one day chocolate course with expert chocolatier Barry Colenso.