With our Indian courses just around the corner, we thought we’d share our tasty cauliflower curry served with spiced cauliflower stuffed flatbreads.
Ingredients for cauliflower curry
- 1 small cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 cooking onion, finely chopped
- 1 piece fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1tsp ground cumin
- 1tsp ground corriander
- 1hsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 400g chopped tinned tomatoes
- 6tbsp vegetable oil
- salt to taste
- fresh chopped corriander to garnish
Ingredients for spiced flatbreads
- 500g 00 grade flour
- 10g fine salt
- 1tbsp cumin seeds
- 300ml luke warm water
- 5tbsp vegetable oil for frying
Ingredients for flatbread filling
- 1/2 cauliflower (blitzed until fine in food processor)
- 1 birdseye green chilli, finely chopped
- 1tsp fine salt
- Add all ingredients into a bowl & mix to combine – set aside until ready to use
Method for cauliflower curry
- Cook cauliflower florets in boiling water until tender.
- Add oil to a separate saucepan.
- When hot, add the chopped onion & sauté until golden brown.
- Add ginger & garlic & stir for 2 minutes.
- Add spices & stir until the onions are coated.
- Add chopped tomatoes & cook until the oil begins to separate from tomatoes.
- Add the cooked cauliflower & stir to coat the cauliflower in tomato sauce.
- Season with salt.
- Serve & garnish with fresh corriander.
- Best served with spiced cauliflower stuffed flat bread
Method for flatbreads
- Add the flour, salt & cumin seeds to a large mixing bowl.
- Add the water & mix together with a wooden spoon until a rough ball is formed. If the dough is too wet add a little more flour. If too dry add a little more water.
- Turn out the ball of dough onto a lightly floured surface & knead for 8-10minutes until the dough is smooth & elastic.
- Leave dough to rest in a lightly oiled bowl for an hour.
- Once dough has rested, turn out onto the surface & spilt into 4 equal pieces.
- Shape each piece into a rough ball & roll each piece into a thin circle around 0.5mm thick.
- Spoon 1/4 of the cauliflower mixture onto the circle of dough leaving a 2mm gap around the edge.
- Gently fold one edge of the circle into the centre of the circle, creating triangle, repeat this technique, so that the all edges of the circle are folded in to the centre.
- Once all the breads are folded, add the vegetable oil to a large frying pan, allow the oil to heat & fry the flatbreads for 2 mins on either side or until golden brown on each side.
- Remove & drain on a kitchen towel & serve alongside your curry.
Visit Seasoned Cookery School for more information on all our courses, or call 01283 810 275.