For those who cannot wait to get away this summer, we have a delicious butterbean recipe straight from the region of Spain. We use this recipe regularly in our Spanish Cookery Class with Jenny Chandler and not only is it tasty, but it’s also full of flavour.
As part of the Eat Like a Local campaign we thought this recipe would be a perfect way to bring some of Spain into your homes.
Butter Beans with Piquillo Peppers and Garlic
· 2 tbsp olive oil
· 1 onion, finely diced
· 3 cloves garlic, crushed
· 2 x 400g tin of butter beans
· 200 ml vegetable stock
· 12 Piquillo peppers, sliced roughly (approx 1 x small 200 g jar)
· 4 tbsp flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
· zest and juice of 1 lemon
· 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
· salt and black pepper
1. Cook the onion in a small frying pan until softened and golden then add some garlic and stir.
2. Add the beans to the pan and cover with oil then add the stock.
3. Simmer the beans for around 5-15 minutes. Make sure there is enough liquid in the pan, you may need to add some more water.
4. Add the peppers, lemon juice and oil whilst the dish is hot. Season now too.
This dish can be served at room temperature, or as a warm accompaniment for a variety of dishes.