If there was one food that has gained superfood status over the last few years it would be the avocado. It not only is great mashed with chilli and tomatoes on toast, but you can also bake it too.
We believe this is the best baked avocado with eggs and cherry tomatoes recipe you’ll find. Not only is it a perfect healthy breakfast, brunch or light lunch, it’s quick, simple and extremely tasty.
These fruits are jam packed with health benefits. They have more potassium than a banana as well as being packed with fibre, folate, vitamin B6 and vitamin C.
How to pick a ripe avocado
There are few things worse than cutting in to an avocado to find it’s either ripe or unripe. When picking a ripe avocado look for the ones that have darker skin and are not too soft to touch.
Another trick is to look under where the stem attaches to the fruit
- Not ripe – stem hard to remove.
- Perfectly ripe – flesh under the stem is green.
- Overripe – flesh under the stem is brown.
How can I stop an avocado getting too ripe?
It is a well known frustrtaion of all cooks that avocados rarely ripen at the speed you want them to. If you have a perfectly ripe avocado but don’t want to eat it yet, put it in the fridge. This will stop it ripening any more.
Can you bake avocado?
Avocado is not only delicious in its raw form, but is also wonderful baked. Try our baked eggs and avocado recipe below and find out how delicious they can be.
Baked Avocado, Eggs and Cherry Tomatoes
- 2 ripe avocados
- 4 eggs
- 8 cherry tomatoes
- Salt & Pepper for seasoning
- Chives optional
Preheat your oven to 220°c and line a baking tray with parchment.
Slice the avocados in half, remove the stone then place onto the baking tray.
Crack an egg into each half of the avocado. Make sure you crack the yolk in first then fill in with remaining egg white. You may have some egg white left.
Slice the cherry tomatoes in half and place onto the baking tray alongside the avocados.
Lightly season with salt & pepper.
Bake the tomatoes and avocados for 15-20 minutes in the oven. They are ready when the egg white is solid and cooked through. If you prefer your yolk to be firm, put back in the oven for a few minutes longer.
Once cooked remove from the oven and garnish with more black pepper and chives.
How to prepare an avocado
Follow our tips to prepare and avocado safely.
- First make sure your avocado is perfectly ripe
- Take a long knife and cut along the long length of the avocado until you get to the stone. Roll the knife around the stone until you have two avocado halves.
- Remove the knife and twist the two halves to release one from the stone. Using a small spoon scoop the stone out from the other half.
- If you need to remove the flesh from the skin push a dessert spoon between the skin and the soft avocado and move around the edges until it comes free. Chop or mash the avocado flesh if required by the recipe.