Trying to decide on the right recipe for a bake is often a struggle. You want something that’s tasty and will impress, but you also don’t want to make something that will take up hours of time.
Happily, there are plenty of quick, tasty recipes out there that you can whip up in next to no time. And that doesn’t mean you have to sacrifice on taste or presentation either.
So, sit back, relax and take in some of the best, quick recipes that are ideal for any bake sale. If you feel like you need extra assistance to brush up on your skills or refine them further, you could always consider one of our baking courses,most of which are run by expert baker and Great British Bakeoff finalist Beca Lyne-Pirkis
Lemon Drizzle Cake
This is an exceedingly simple and easy recipe – ideal for when your time is limited but you need the best results.
- 110 g of butter
- 170 g self-raising flour
- 170 g caster sugar
- 4 tablespoons of milk
- 2 eggs
- Juice and zest from 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoons of icing sugar
- 23 x 13 x 7cm cake tin
- Before you start in on mixing your ingredients, ensure your oven is pre-heated to 180 degrees Celsius and line your cake tin with greaseproof paper.
- Next, combine the butter, sugar, eggs, milk and lemon zest – don’t add the juice yet! – and beat the mixture until it’s lump-free and smooth in texture. Then pour the mixture into your cake tin.
- Put the mixture into the oven for 40-50 minutes, ensuring it’s neither too dry or still uncooked inside.
- For the drizzle, pop the lemon juice in the microwave for 30-45 seconds, then combine this with your icing sugar. While the mixture is hot, pour it all over the cake.
Gluten-Free Lemon Cake
- 330 g dairy-free margarine
- 300 g gluten-free plain flour
- 300 g caster sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 3 lemons
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free baking powder
- 100 g icing sugar
- ½ a teaspoon of xanthan gum
- 120cm square cake tin
- Set the oven to 180 degrees Celsius and grease your cake tin with margarine. Dust the sides of the tin at the same time, to prevent the cake from sticking.
- Beat the margarine and sugar together, until fluffy.
- Adds the eggs and mix these with zest from two lemons.
- Combine the flour, baking powder and xanthan with the egg mixture, then add the juice from 1 or 2 lemons and mix together until smooth.
- Put the mixture into your cake tin and put it on the middle shelf of the oven for 35-40 minutes.
- For the drizzle, combine zest and juice from half a lemon with icing sugar and drizzle it over the cake once it’s out of the oven.
Simple Chocolate Cake
- 225 g butter
- 225 g caster sugar
- 100 g self-raising flour
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 2 teaspoons of coca powder
- Some milk
For the icing, you’ll need:
- 250 g butter
- 250 g dark chocolate
- 175 g icing sugar
Preheat the oven to 180 Celsius and grease two 20cm baking tins.
Beat together butter and sugar – ensuring the mixture is fluffy. Then add the eggs – one at a time – while continuing to beat the mixture.
Begin to add in the flour, baking powder and cocoa, adding slowly and gently to the mix. Add some milk – in small increments – until the mixture is light and drops from your spatula.
Bake for 20-25 minutes and leave to cool for 10 minutes.
For the frosting, melt your chocolate in a bowl over simmering water (not boiling) then allow to cool slightly. In another bowl, mix icing sugar and butter together until light, then fold into the melted chocolate. Now all you need to do is spread it over the cake!
Dairy-Free Chocolate Cake
- 175 g plain flour
- 60 g cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 90 g brown sugar
- 45 g caster sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 120 ml olive oil
- 120 ml almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 60 ml hot water
For the covering, you’ll require:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 150 g dairy-free dark chocolate
- Preheat your oven to 170c and grease an 8-inch cake tin.
- Combine the cocoa powder, flour and baking powder, then add the caster and brown sugar.
- Next, add the almond milk, olive oil, eggs and vanilla to the mixture and fold it all together. Then add your hot water and stir it in.
- Cook for 30 minutes.
- For the ganache, combine the chocolate and olive oil into a bowl and heat it in the microwave, giving it a stir every 15-20 seconds. Once melted, let it stand for 15 minutes then pour over the cake.