Recipes learnt (Summer Menu)
- Chickpea chela pancake stuffed with summer herbs and greens served with some quick carrot and radish pickle and zucchini raita
- Stuffed Aubergines with a really versatile vegetarian ragu, smoked red pepper sauce and mograbieh (giant couscous)
- Honey and sesame fried Saganaki (essentially an exciting way with halloumi) served with a warm fresh apricot, runner bean and freekah salad
- Summer berry and mascarpone tart.
Recipes learnt (Autumn Menu)
- Gnocchi a la Roman – gnocchi with a caramelised sage and butter sauce and sautéed winter greens
- Turlu Turlu – Turkish roasted vegetables with a spiced tomato and chickpea sauce served with herbed labneh (yoghurt cheese)
- Red Onion and Rosemary Tatin with hazelnut and green salad
- Baked quinces with honey, pistachio, rose cream
We will break for a staggered lunch throughout the day in our private dining room, allowing time to relax, a cold drink and time to chat with fellow course participants about your favourite dishes, cookbooks and more.
(Please note, we reserve the right to alter the dishes covered in the course, to meet the dietary requirements of our guests).
Throughout the day we will cook the above dishes, predominantly in pairs, but with some individual work. Our chef tutor will demonstrate each dish before you get started so that you’ll leave feeling confident recreating all of the dishes at home again.
Your chef tutor
Your chef tutor is Jenny Chandler, food writer and cookery teacher. Jenny has travelled the world and worked for many years in the Mediterranean as a chef on private yachts. Now based in Bristol, Jenny is the author of ‘Pulse’ which has recently been republished, reflecting the growing interest in alternative protein sources.
Jenny’s food is often be described as ‘accidentally vegetarian’, as she makes delicious sharing platters of delicious crowd-pleasing food. Sometimes meat is a part of this, but on this day the focus will be on fabulous seasonal vegetables, pulses and herbs to impress any guests, friends and family.
About your day
Our cookery courses take place on the Catton Estate. On the picturesque Derbyshire border next to the River Trent, our spacious kitchens are perfectly equipped. We are only minutes from the A38 and have plenty of free parking.
You’ll have the support of our “kitchen fairies” throughout the day who also take care of all the washing up. We’ll provide an apron for the day, and all the equipment and ingredients you’ll need. With refreshments throughout the day, you’ll also receive recipe packs to take home.
Our day courses run from 10.15am to 4 pm. Join the team for early morning refreshments from 10 am.
Book your Place
This class is perfect for those looking for fresh inspiration for vegetarian dishes. By the end of the day, you will have a range of new ideas and serving styles for you to recreate again at home. Meat Free Monday and cooking vegetarian dishes for friends and family will never be the same again!
Photo’s courtesy of Jenny Chandler